Author Topic: How is your game load?  (Read 3040 times)

John Knudsen

• We are friends!
    • View Profile
How is your game load?
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
I am curious as to what people are carrying as far as game load nowadays.

I took many years off from serious correspondence chess, but eased back into it
a few years back with ICCF Friendly matches. This was probably a wise choice, as
the playing pace of tournaments of tournaments might be considered hectic for
an out of practice older player...

After a couple of years with the Friendly matches, I recently entered a couple of tournaments
with terrible results (so far). At one time recently I had over 20 server games going at once,
which was almost overwhelming to me. But, I have learned a couple of lessons:

1. Don't take on too many games at once, regardless how attractive the invites are; and
2. Chess ability DOES decline with age - more patience is needed; and finally
3. Nobody makes serious mistakes any more (except me, of course).

What has been your experience lately?

John

Austin Lockwood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SchemingMind.com
Re: How is your game load?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 02:39:46 PM »
Two tournaments came up at the same time about a year ago, neither of which I could refuse (for different reasons) - I ended up with over 30 games which was completely unsustainable and I screwed up a couple of the games.

Depending on the time control, 15 - 20 is OK for me if I'm taking them really seriously (which I don't always).

Cheers,
Austin

Gino Figlio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 11:09:41 PM »
70 but it "was an accident" (quoting my 10 year old grandson)

Wim van Vugt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
Hi John, nice to see you here again after we revived TCCMB again. My current game load (only webserver) is 16 games, and within a week another 12 games will start. I think that a game load of more than 20 is very heavy, but two tournaments suddenly started almost simultaneously: the first one is a semifinal that I couldn't let slip away and the second one is the invitational George Pyrich Memorial, which give me another 12 games. So from half September on my game load will be 28 games.

Alan Borwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:23 AM »
Hello everyone - delighted this Forum has been restored and look forward to participating occasionally.
I have 28 games with those in my dear friend George Pyrich’s Memorial tournament to be started soon
With no transmission time I find games load of this number is top side by webserver, maybe too many! Best wishes to all 😀. Alan

Ferry Lunek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Hi all,
I try to keep my gameload between 20 and 30 game. More i cant handle becourse my work.
Stil 1 game in the North Sea Team Tournament (Cat 3) what is ending 01-10-2018 and with a winning arbitrage (i hope so) i wil have my first IM-norm, with 5 winning - 4 draw - 1 lost (7 out 10).
2 games in GER/CCM-E/01-A, Also chance on a topplace.
Tournament "XV AEAC/Sem.08, XV Jubilee AEAC – Semifinal 08", 10 games (1 is already mat in 25 and stil playing) and a new tournament "European Server Championship 2018 Semi-Final" is coming in septembre with 12 games. Together 25 games in september, that is ok!
Best wishes, Ferry

Arjo Schreuders

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
I started playing CC on a different site before I entered ICCF. The pace was quicker (usually 1-3 days a move) and I usually had 20-25 games running.

When I joined ICCF I started with about 8-10 games which became 15 after I joined my first tournament.
Lately Ive been bringing back my game load (6 games now) so I can start a few new games with stronger opponents
(according to my new unfixed rating).
For now I will aim at 8-10 games... Maybe a few more when I get used to stronger opponents ;-)

Wim van Vugt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
Dear Arjo,

You can easily let your game load grow step by step by participating in Friendly Matches against other National Federations. These are without any cost and you play two games per opponent (one with white and one with black). Sometimes you can opt for two boards and then you play two different opponents, four games in total. You are allowed to play as many Friendly Matches like this as soon as there a new NED-XXX match (XXX stands for the country that we play a 30-40 boards match with).

In order to know which countries are planned in the next few months to come, just constult the NBC site on http://www.correspondentieschaken.nl
As far as I know, players are sought of any rating (from low to high rated) for a match against Bulgaria. Just write an email to Jan Bart van Daatselaar ([email protected]) for information, before 30 Sept 2018.

Best wishes, Wim

Arjo Schreuders

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:06:34 PM »
Dear Wim,

I already played in 8 friendly matches and already signed up with Jan Bart for the upcoming match against USA ;)

Wim van Vugt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
Okay, that's fine.
Have you ever tried Theme Tournaments?
Then you can concentrate on a particular opening/defence to specialize more and deepen your understanding of that opening/defence.
That's how I started CC in about 1985, when playing by postcard was still the only option.

Arjo Schreuders

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »
Yes I played some on the site I played on before ICCF...

But the next steps in my "big plan" now are to play some stronger opponents in friendly matches and after that experience join a strong tournament...
Im currently playing the NBC <2000...

Michael Blake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:03:59 AM »
I have terrible trouble with my game load. In postal days it would peak around 80 games with a mix of local and International games. I really enjoyed the correspondence with chessfriends but admit the game load was too high. In the Internet and e-mail era my game load was impossible with many players responding same-day rather than the 'normal' 5 or 7 days waiting to get a reply by post. I vowed to reduce the total of games but was back at 80 on-the-go games in 2017. After a determined effort I am now down to about 35 but this is still too much.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:05:52 PM by Michael Blake »

Russell Sherwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »
Currently, I am playing just over 100 games - I have played nearly double that at times.

One thing I find important to remember is that whilst your opponent may respond almost immediately, it does not mean that I have to!

Grayling Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »
I currently have 8 active games with 14 more games starting on September 30th. 

My preferred approach is to only start a new tournament when I have finished close to half of the games in my current tournament.  This keeps me at a game load of approximately 20 games which I find to a manageable number for me.  It allows me to play better chess and still have a life outside of correspondence chess.

Arild Haugen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »
My game load is always too big, but then again I am not to worried about rating anymore. Normally 50 +- 20 games and I play everything from CT's to Veteran tournaments and DE's.