Author Topic: Help - need database recommendation  (Read 345 times)

Peter Coleman

• View Profile
Help - need database recommendation
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
Had two Hard Disk crashes last year and found after the second that my backup was corrupt. I do have an older backup (unforunately quite a bit older), but I can't face the work involved to get that back to a reasonable level!

So, can anyone give me a recommendation for a decent (i.e. not full of errors and duplicates) and not horrendously expensive database that covers all the major OTB and CC games, up to at least 2017?

TIA

Arild Haugen

• View Profile
Re: Help - need database recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
Hi Peter,
I noticed you had problem with access here. I was also banned by mistake, but everything seems to be Ok now. I use CB and TWIC, but also ICCF dbs of course. If you have CB program of a later date you will also have access to the online base, so that you can see what variations your opponent has been looking at 😀. There is also a big db that goes with Aquarium I think....

Austin Lockwood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SchemingMind.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
Unfortunately we get three or four spammy registrations every week - Wim tries to filter them out, but unless we keep things fairly tight, the bad guys will get in.

Having said that, the way we have the forum proxied through CloudFlare probably means that IP blocking isn't going to work anyway - I'll see if I can remove that...

Anyway - apologies for the inconvenience if any legitimate users have been IP blocked...

Austin

Rob Leemans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:07:51 PM »
May be you find  http://www.chessgames.com/index.html  or  https://www.365chess.com/ interesting.

Rob

Peter Coleman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:10:12 PM »
Thanks Guys. Looks like a bit of work to do.

Austin, I was getting the same problem at home (BT, UK's largest broadband provider), at work and using my IPad on the train (EE, Britain's largest mobile provider), so you are banning a lot of people if these IP addresses are blocked...

Wim van Vugt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
The SPAMmers seem to flood TCCMB last weeks. It's not a few per week but a few each day. I first check their Email addresses by Google and quickly find out that they all are frequent SPAMmers. After I have that, I block them. Unfortunately they always change their names, often from the same IP address. Maybe it's easier just to refuse them and delete the existing accounts of those SPAMmers. In total we have some 120 "members" of which about 90 are blocked.