Author Topic: ICCF Triple Block System  (Read 101 times)

Grayling Hill

• View Profile
ICCF Triple Block System
« on: December 01, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »
Has anyone competed in a tournament using this new system?  If so, what are your thoughts?

A quick read of the rules; it seems like extra work for the player.

Austin Lockwood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SchemingMind.com
Re: ICCF Triple Block System
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:06:03 PM »
Hi Grayling,

I am playing in one... I wouldn't say it was more work, but it does take some getting used to - it's a very different way to manage your time; it's diffult to shake off the feeling that you're going to run short of time, even when mathematically you know you're not.

The main advantage is that you can play in a tournament of a fixed duration without having to worry about adjudications... it avoids the situation where an opponent slows down in a better, but not winning, position because he'd rather gamble with an adjudicator than play the game.

(Disclaimer: I was a member of the working group which designed the system)

Cheers,
Austin

Arild Haugen

• View Profile
Re: ICCF Triple Block System
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
I have just started in one, and I think it is a great idea for many reasons. Since I am always playing too fast I have also lost a Norwegian Championship title because of the rules for silent withdrawals which makes it advantageous to play very slow. I have tried a long time to convince my local community that there is nothing special about every 10th move. However having said that I find it quite entertaining to wait for some of my opponents to suddently have to move several moves in a couple of days ;-)